Saturday, January 1, 2011

Got Back On It!

Well, yesterday as a tribute to the upcoming New Year, I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill and cooled down for .5 miles. It felt great, and since breaking my toes, was the first time I realized I actually missed running. (I also did gain about 13 pounds....that kinda was a motivator too)

Now this year I'm also training with a different sort of issue. While I don't want to get into any detail on the exact problem, I have a condition that tends to raise my resting heart-rate at times dramatically above the norm. Yesterdays run, my rate was at 140 before the start and I had to wait until it got into at least the 90's before I started. Of course, it stayed in the 180's the whole time caused both by my lack of exercise to date and the condition I referenced. I am taking medication for the condition (just started) and hopefully will keep the heart-rate down. My doctor also told me that the mere act of exercising will lower the resting heart-rate anyways. I just have to watch out for chest pains, weakness or any other sign of heart distress. I'm not supposed to push myself too hard!

Anyways, with Bayshore around the corner, you'll see more posts from me in the future. Not surprisingly, I'm just a little sore today in the legs but that will pass as I get more accustomed to running again!

No comments:

Post a Comment