Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Dreadmill!!!!

Today I hopped on the treadmill for an easy run. The temps in Northern Michigan are now low teens during the day falling into single digits at night. I am not a cold weather runner, that I have discovered over the past 9 years.

The Dreadmill is aptly named. Boring runs to nowhere that even music cannot alleviate. I typically will find a movie that can catch my attention to make the boredom go away. I also tend to mix it up quite a bit on the mill by coming up with my own User routine. I have a Sole treadmill, so set up User1 as me. I will vary not only the run time, but also will speed up and slow down the whole routine and in addition, I will vary the angle as I have that option too. (it is like running uphill) Even though I ran at a slow "post broken leg" pace of around a 12:00 minute mile, the changing up of the routine from walk to 10:00 pace and changing the angle really got my heart pumping. With a goal of 20 lbs to lose, right now, heart rate elevation and calorie burn are my primary goals. I love to run....but the added weight has made me heavy footed (or at least that's what it feels like) and has cut some of the run out of it.

So, any other goals for myself other then the weight loss? I started this blog with the intent of finishing my first marathon. So why change things? Because of timing, I did have to delay my marathon, but my plan is to still do it, but smart. I will continue to train and will see where I'm at this summer. I want to first try and finish a half to gauge my progress. If my progress is satisfactory by the June time frame, then just maybe this year. With now a weaker leg though, I'm not going to push it. My feeling of invulnerability took a hit with my first broken bone. :) I realize when I was close last time, 13-15 mile runs while not easy, were something I actually looked forward to. The feeling of "I just did that" made my week. 3 mile runs were a warm up unless paced runs, and 8 mile runs were normal every day runs.

Ill keep it up this time. The 20 pounds was a wake up call, and I'm not getting any younger. (that's for sure) Run safe and have fun while doing it everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment