Monday, May 16, 2011

Still Blahhh....butttt Better!

Its a slow but sure progression that is for sure. For those that don't know or haven't gone through my posts, a year and half ago I ran a half marathon with my wife in the two hour plus range. (I can't remember the exact time...2:27 maybe?) Anyway, I could have run sub 2:00 by myself for sure at that point...I had trained and trained all spring/summer and was intent on doing it last year. I fell off the wagon in a big way, and after much sputtering, starting and stopping am finally back in it.

So what has happened the past two weeks? I have slowly gotten back into what I used to enjoy so much and am finding the joy in it again! I have been promoted in my career, and find myself traveling a lot and spending more time then anyone should in hotels. The only good thing about that is most of them have pretty decent treadmills, or if its in the country, I can find a route to run. I have been baby-stepping my way on the treadmill for the most part though. I'm on Daily Mile to track my runs and Cardio when on the Elliptical, and have been starting out in the 11:00/mile range. This was a real hard thing for me, as I was running three miles at my advanced age of near 40 at 7:00-8:00 pace when my running fell off. I know Ill be back there again....the trick is not to push so hard that I get hurt.

Starting back off again now, I have to deal with the pain of shin-splints and lower back pain. I always have these issues when starting off my running again. When the shin-splints start, I just start compensating with elliptical or bike work until it goes away. For the lower back pain, I found that outside actual running helps with that. Treadmill running seems to aggravate that and I suspect it has something to do with the way I'm running on it. (must be different...no surprise)

I don't share much of my personal life on here for my own reasons. Two other reasons I have wanted and needed to get back into running and exercise in general again are personal and they are stress and body-image. (oh no...not that...and a guy can have that?) I have a great deal of stress in my life that frankly, got out of control. No use in hashing out with everyone in the world what that entailed, but it got pretty bad. (and I can deal with a lot of sh*#) As for the body-image thing, well, I think I have gained too much weight. Yea, I'm still under 200 lbs for someone 5'11, so it cant be that bad...right? For me, it is...now I'm not looking at dropping 50 lbs to be a bean-pole...just 15 or so lbs to be back into that healthy runner physique! (I do miss that!) Anyway, that's the two personal reasons in a nutshell...probably two of the reasons many of us get into this (although they really shouldn't be the most important reasons)

Just wanted to give an update....I haven't fallen off the face of the earth....just chillin in Milwaukee right this exact moment after my run this afternoon. (the fine after-glow of knowing and feeling you did the right thing...I love that post-exercise glow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment